*Note: for some reason, I can't get the freaking text to stop typing in italics. And yes, I've clicked the "i" button, but it's being stupid. So this post will be italicized.
Anyway. This flooding is scaring the shit out of me. Very apocalyptic. I worry about Duane Arnold (nuclear) Power Plant in Palo. Seeing as Palo is under several feet of water, I worry a little. Jerry's brother and his wife live in Palo, and they're anticipating flooding to the ceiling of their main level by crest. Hopefully it's not that bad, but it's just not looking good, especially since they raised the anticipated crest of the Cedar River by 8 feet. The building where I used to work in Cedar Rapids has several feet of water lapping at the doors, and it's 5-ish blocks away from the river. The city of Cedar Rapids has enacted a mandatory evacuation of businesses and residences about 4 blocks BEYOND the 500 year flood plain. Absolutely crazy. While I feel desperately bad for everyone affected, it's time's like these I'm tickled I lived on one of the highest hills in town. If my house goes under, the whole town of Monticello would be under.
I just heard on the news that part of Cascade is under a voluntary evacuation now. I have never heard that happen before. This is scary shit. Speaking of...big lighning, loud buzzing, crash, and dish went away. I'm posting and logging out before I lose my computer.
Mel, out.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Mel, I know what you mean. The flooding is much worse than anyone anticipated, and it's very scary. Did you hear that a levy broke in Jones county?
And the hill thing....totally right. I live on a pretty high hill too(not as high as yours) but still quite tall. It makes me feel better to know that I'm probably not going to be going under water!
Freaking insane isn't it? We helped Jer's brother tonight move things out of their home since they are in flood plain area.
what upseats me are the idiots down gawking at the water and screwin around riden there bikes and walken through it there not there because there helpen anyone try to save there things. Everyone knows one of those people are gonna be the ones get sweped away and pull firefighers and police offers away from the important work there doing and put there lives at risk to save there butts
That is just terrible about CR! I can't believe they had to evacuate Mercy! It is bad here in Des Moines, but not as bad as CR.
~Des
Post a Comment