I'm so happy for him, so proud, so excited, and at the same time so sad, etc etc.
Today, however, I started to realize that in some aspects, he's really not ready. And that's entirely my fault. I really got the thinking about this when I was taking a look at the lunch menu, and noticed that for the first day they are having salisbury steak. (we just won't go into why they chose such a nasty entree to start the year off with...) Anyway, even if Gary eats it (which he probably won't), he's never cut meat on his own. I realize that this stuff is so tender it would probably fall apart if you pick it up, but that's beside the point. He's never had to fend for himself in that way. And this dependency on me to cut his meat is just the tip of the iceberg. He still hasn't mastered shoe tying, and I recently bought jeans with a really tough button fly that he can't quite get. Heck, he has a hard time with the zipper on his jacket because it sticks sometimes. And there are several other things he probably relies on me for. Oh yeah, I brush his teeth for him. He doesn't like to do it. Brendan does it by himself, but Gary won't.
I know this is all my fault. He's my baby, and I really do baby him. I need to let him do these things on his own. He is certainly old enough, heck he's probably old enough for a trip down the street to grandma's by himself, but I'm still scared. He's my baby, after all....
I'm just sad thinking that these next four days are all I have left before he starts school. Then he's in school forever. Then when school is over, he'll leave home. These four days will be precious to me....it feels like they're all I have left.... (Irrational, I know)




10 comments:
He'll be just fine, and so will you!! Can't wait for first day pics!!
~Desi
I thought the same thing about the steak on the first day, what a way to scare kids away from school lunch! I told Olivia today she is going to try all their foods even if it's new or she will be really really hungry.
Yeah, the steak thing is really weird....for like the past 6 years we've had pizza on the first day.
I don't know his teacher, but kindergarten teachers are used to doing that kind of thing (zippers, buttons, etc). He might see others do it independently and try and become successful. They will take great care of him and his friends will probably help out too. Get him some velcro and pack his lunch! :)
His teacher will be Mrs. Harms.
Maci had Mrs. Harms and she was freaked out when she first went to school, but she LOVED Mrs. Harms. She helped Maci with pretty much anything she needed. Gary will be fine, and he'll do great!
Congrats on getting Gary this far in life! He'll do great and just think of all the fun and new experiences he will be telling you about! Enjoy every day! Be sure to post a 1st day picture. Brendan will be lost without Gary to pick on! :) Is your Mom really old enough to have a grandkid in school! hahahahahahahaha
-rah
When I told my hubby about your post and what they were serving for lunch the first day, his thought was that instead of teaching him how to cut, maybe you should teach him to carry a lunch box because salisbury steak on the first day must mean yucky things for lunch all the time! :) Hopefully not, though. It's amazing how hard you prepare your kids for big steps in their lives and then something so simple as this passes by you without a thought. I'm sure he'll do fine and he'll come home with all sorts of great memories of his first day of school.
Is Brendan going to preschool too? When does he start? We don't start until the Wed. after labor day here. It's coming on way too soon!!
We did buy him a lunch box, but I was just hoping his first day would be something better...like pizza or deli sandwiches or chix nuggets- ya know, something normal!
Yeah, Brendan starts preschool this year. He'll be in the 3 yr old class which meets T/Th from 8-11. He starts a week from tomorrow (tues. the 26th). Now where did that time go??
8:00??? How do you do it? I had to be out of the house today for a dr. appt at 8 am and it nearly killed me. I wont' be able to do that again for another several years I think. I admire you for having to do it for two kids twice a week!!
Post a Comment