Ok, so today was the release of the debut album of American Idol alum Chris Daughtry. I have never purchased an album by any AI contestant to date, but when I heard Chris Daughtry this past season, I immediately fell for him (looks and voice), and swore up and down that I would buy anything that this man put out. Initially, I held true to my word. I purchased his rendition of "Wanted Dead or Alive" off of iTunes, and I listened to it all of the time. To my ears, I think he even blew Jon Bon Jovi out of the water on that song. It was fabulous. Then came today. November 21st, 2006. Today is the release of Daughtry, the self-titled album by Chris Daughtry and his new band. I anticipated disappointment when I saw that the album was listed under the genre POP. I normally don't listen to POP. Gwen Stefani is POP. Justin Timberlake is POP. Sigh. Well, this was Chris Daughtry, and I was determined to give him the benefit of the doubt, because even a few songs by Incubus are listed in iTunes as POP. iTunes gives you a 30 second clip of every song they sell to help you to decide whether or not to spend the 99 cents per song, or $9.99 per album. I listened to a clip of every song, and I can honestly say I am disappointed at how 'soft' his sound is on this album. I was anticipating rocking, "Hemhorrage in my Hand" sounds, but instead, was greeted by softer sounds reminiscent of StainD on their Break the Cycle disc. (After Mudshovel off of Dysfunction, Break the Cycle was a sappy disappointment.) Only two songs are worth purchasing to listen to the whole thing- "There and Back Again", and "What I Want" the latter of which features Slash, thus the harder sound. The rest of the album features songs with titles like: "All These Lives", "It's Not Over", "Used To", "What About Now", and even "Sorry". All are softer, ballad-type songs, as the titles suggest. I don't know if I'll buy any of it. C'mon, Chris! Where's that rocker that I fell in love with on American Idol??? (yes, I watch the show).
I'm going to go lie on the couch and wallow in self-pity for the hot rocker that let me down.
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
I am so glad I read your post b/c I was contemplating purchasing his CD as I also LOVED him in Idol. Sounds highly disappointing and like the powers that be in the music world 'got to him'. I 100% agree w/you on the Staind album as well. Talk about contrasts....those 2 albums couldn't be much more different?! Oh, I wanted to let you know that Kevin and I will be going, with my sister, to the Disturbed concert!!!! I am SOOOO pumped! You are going too, right???
Oh yeah, Jerry and I are SO THERE!!
So that's who sings that crappy version of that Bon Jovi song!
Yeah, and you all suck! I wanna go to Disturbed!! Half of the CD's in my car's 6 disc changer are Disturbed! Poopyheads!
I also LOVED him on idol... but I really liked his softer side. You just convinced me to buy it! Maybe his next one will be a little more hard rock for you and Jen! Have fun at the concert!
I'm so freaking pissed about the crappy cd that the so-cute star put out! I want more hard rock!!
Post a Comment