Sunday, February 17, 2008

IT'S DONE!!!!!!

It's done, it's done, it's finally freaking done! Brendan's room is finished. It didn't take as long to do his room as I thought, although it probably would have been quicker had I not had kids around!!!

This is the room after I tore down the first layer of stuff. I forgot to take some before pictures, but basically the room was a lavendar color over wallpaper, and the paper was bubbling in the corners which prompted me to peel it all off. As far as I can figure, the layers were as follows: 2-3 layers of paint, paper, a weird mesh layer. These are the layers you see on the floor in this first picture. They peeled off of the walls easily without scoring or Dif and took me very little time. Yay! The layers underneath (I think) were two really old layers of wallpaper with border. They were so old, that with some scoring and Dif, that paper came off super easily. Underneath was old, discolored and cracked plaster. There were no holes, and there was no buckling of the plaster, so all I had to do was patch a bit and sand the walls before priming and painting!


This is a sample of the wallpaper and border I found closest to the plaster. Anyone want to venture a guess as to the age of the paper? I'm guessing 50's. My house was built somewhere aorund 1918-1922.


The after. I used two colors of blue, on opposite sides. I love the colors, and love how they turned out. I'm please with my choice.


Brendan's bed. The only thing left is a bedskirt for his bed. I won a navy one off of eBay for 3 bucks, so I'm just waiting for that now!!


The absolutely adorable Uppercase Living saying I put on his wall. This is main reason I finally decided to just tear into the paper and finish his room. I bought this phrase back in December and had big plans for it. I think it all turned out great.

10 comments:

Video Babe said...

Awesome. It has to feel good. I am still pulling stars off of Willie' ceiling and plastering tiny holes and trying to wash off temper paint that I stenciled on the walls!

Michaela said...

Mel, it looks SO GOOD! You did great!

Lis said...

LOVE THE COLORS!!!!!!! WOW you are quick!

Lis said...

that's definately 50's wallpaper :)
Holy SHIT! I just talked to you last week... when did u do all that???

Mel said...

Lis- I knew you said you'd help, but I did it all on friday/saturday, and I figured you were probably still sick, since you were still sick on thursday. I wanted you to rest!

Jana S. said...

I admire you for your courage in facing all those horrible layers, but it was obviously worth it because it does look great!

Anonymous said...

This is amazing Mel. The colors are perfect and look how nice the woodwork looks. Great job! You are hired! hugs...rah

Kati said...

Looks awesome. I LoVE the colors!

Desi and Matt said...

Are you telling me that Brendan didn't like the reversible comforter with flowers on one side anymore? :) I like the wall color!

~Des

Anonymous said...

Mel, you did a great job! I'm so impressed that you did all of that by yourself! You go, girl!!! Jen Hahn