Friday, October 27, 2006

Popcorn

Ok, so Gary made his second ER trip this year (and of his life, for that matter). He was playing at Mimi and Papa's house with his toy corn auger and grain bin, augering (sp?) corn into the corn bin, and the next thing, Mimi sees Gary with his finger in his ear. She asked him what he was doing, and he said "trying to get the corn out of my ear". Gary had a piece of unpopped popcorn in his ear. We gently tried a small pair of tweezers, but that was all I was willing to try when his ear was involved. I called the doctors office, but they said they were packed, so we went to the ER in Anamosa. The ER doctor tried with a tiny pair of scissor-like gripper things, and Gary screamed bloody murder because it hurt so bad (which nearly broke my heart). The ER doctor said it was lodged pretty good, so he said we'd have to take Gary to an ENT doctor and have him anesthetized to get it out. Cripes! So today at 3:30 we are heading to CR to see and ENT specialist to remove a piece of unpopped popcorn. What a turkey. It seems that everyone (or nearly everyone) has a story to share about shoving something in their ear/nose. When I was a kid I put a bead in my nose and my grandma had to take me to the ER, too. They had me blow my nose, and out it came. Duh.

I feel so bad for the little guy. Not even 4 years old and he's going to have to get anesthethized. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to pick him up now; after everything, he still wanted to stay overnight with Mimi and Papa while Jerry and I went out with friends last night. Who knows, maybe the kernel fell out while he slept. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

Mel said...

What did I say, everyone has a story like that! Haa haa! Too funny.