Tuesday, August 29, 2006

School and dentists



Ah....so today was Gary's first day of preschool. As you can tell by the second photo, Gary was excited to go to school. He had his new backpack, his new shoes, and a big smile on his face. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, he instantly started crying, and said "mommy, you have to stay with me....mommy, you can't goooooo!" He was sobbing and snorting and gagging almost to the point of throwing up (he tends to do that when he doesn't get his way about something). I took him into the classroom, we hung up his coat and backpack, and he was still hysterical. The teachers were trying to make him comfotable, trying to distract him with some games, but he was just sobbing. Finally the teacher just said she'd take him to another part of the room and I left. It really didn't break my heart. It may sound cold, but all it really did was force the point home that he really DOES need this- to get away from me and make friends his own age. I think I would have been much more upset had he just waved me away and said "bye mom". I was just hoping he wouldn't be their first child to cry more than 5 minutes after their parents left.

Well, three hours later Jerry and I picked him up. He was all bubbly and couldn't wait to show me the picture he colored. The teacher said after I left he lay down on the floor and was quiet for a few minutes, but shortly cheered up and went the flow. All the way home he was telling us how he had cookies and chocolate milk, how he had colored a picture, and how he had picked up when he was done. He even said he had a lot of fun and wants to go back! I'm so happy, I knew he'd be fine once I was gone.

At least he had fun. While he was enjoying his first day of school, I had a dentist appt. I just assumed it would a cleaning and some flouride. Stupid me, I should have known better. I had forgotten that at my last appt. I had mentioned that I wanted to get my teeth sealed, so they took care of that. They also found a cavity. Two appts. in a row! Gah! I also have a wisdom tooth that came through like 12 years ago or something like that, and today they noticed some decay in that tooth (that bitch is HARD to clean!) so they suggested I get it pulled. No big deal, but they did ALL OF IT TODAY! The cleaning, the sealing, the filling, and they pulled my wisdom tooth. Blegh. It was only an hour, but I was so damn tense when they were injecting my jaw, inside of my cheek, and roof of my mouth that I was shaking the rest of the time I was in there. I got really nauseated when they shot me up with novocain for some reason. Didn't really hurt to terribly bad, but being at the dentist just messes with your head and the anticipation of your tolerance (or lack thereof) for pain. Yes, they pulled my wisdom tooth with only novocain. Blow! The pressure and the crunching sounds were enough to about make me cry. I had my hands over my ears (yeah, like that really helps when the noise is an inch from your inner ear), and my entire midsection was like 6 inches off of the chair. It didn't hurt, but the noises were just sickening. SohelpmeGod, if I ever have to have another tooth pulled, knock me out. I'd rather have IV anesthetic. Anyway, I'm done, I'm home, and the novocain finally wore off after 3 hours. I was hurting from having my mouth open so wide for so long (heh heh) that I finally gave in and took the pain meds they prescribed. I didn't even take one when I had back surgery, but I gave in after only 3 hours of this. I'm just glad it's over!

3 comments:

Lis said...

Mel... I could seriously feel your PAIN!!! YIKES!!!! had tears in my eyes! hope you are ok!!
Glad to hear Gary had a good day on his 1st day of Preschool :) nervous about sending Blade next week and sad too :( our babies are growing up...

Video Babe said...

Me too! Havin babie seems much worse than anything associated with teeth. You needed my ipod earphones that block out extraneous(sp?) noise. But you had no idea it was all coming. Next time call me and I will hold your hand if you hold mine when they draw blood. Deal?

Rorick Family said...

That pic of Gary is too cute! I said, "Ahh" out loud by myself feeling sorry for the poor little guy. :( I'm sure it is a good thing for everyone though. :)